Re: How IP unnumber works ?

On Thu, 19 Jul 2001, semat wrote:

> > I  want to know how IP unnumbered works ?  And, is there any RFC or
> > other document on
> > this subject ?
> I have only seen ip unnumbered on cisco routers and only for the serial
> interfaces. You assign the thernet interface an ip  and then configure ip
> unnumbered on the serial such that it uses that same ip. Kind of
> convenient when you have one ip address but your termination on one end is
> serial and on the other end it is ethernet.

Normally one uses loopback for termination of unnumbered but as one
likes it... you can also use this to do load balancing and not only on
serial inertfaces but also on isdn etc ...

what would be interesting for you might be rfc 1812, section 2.2.7
"Unnumbered Lines and Networks Prefixes".

56 69 73 69 74				http://www.zabbadoz.net/

-