Cross-interface ARPs

Hello,

I've recently been having a problem with multihomed linux boxes, and was
wondering if anyone had any possible solutions.

Basically, the problem occurs when a multihomed linux box responds to an
arp request out of multiple interfaces onto the same network.  The gateway
picks one of the responses to honor, and everything is fine.  Unless, of
course, it picks a response from an interface which otherwise doesn't
generally send traffic to the gateway.

If that happens, sooner or later, the switches between the gateway and the
server forget the path, and start flooding the traffic.  Yuck.

I've looked at arpfilter, and it doesn't seem to help.  Maybe I'm
misunderstanding it?  Can somebody point me to some documentation, or
explain how it's supposed to work?

Ideally, I want to use something already built into the kernel, as these
are customer machines.  I've got a patch I wrote that will allow them to
configure the interface to respond only to ARP requests for IP addresses
on the interface, but it's a rough fight convincing customers to apply a
custom kernel patch to solve this..

Kyle Sparger

-