RE: Programmatically get ethernet interface speed?

Shmulik> However,
Shmulik> I'm pretty sure that the acenic IS broken in that aspect since
Shmulik> the value of the register that holds the link status and link
Shmulik> speeds bits, and which is used to determine what values to fill
Shmulik> in the EthTool fields, does not reflect the correct status when
Shmulik> connecting/disconnecting the link and moving between different
Shmulik> port types (the debug prints I added were in the driver's code,
Shmulik> not in the EthTool application, and they showed an almost fixed
Shmulik> value). The changes I made seemed to improve the situation, but
Shmulik> only a little. What I was looking for is someone who witnessed
Shmulik> the described behavior and may have found a solution (that's
Shmulik> why I posted to the acenic list first).

I wont rule out that the acenic driver is not fully uptodate on ethtool
support. I think Alteon changed the reporting API at some point.

I added the ethtool support to the acenic driver long ago, back in the
days when ethtool only supported the Sparc drivers hence there might be
a couple of things that have changed in that API since. I might get
around to looking at it, but it's not on the very top of my priority
list right now. If you come up with a patch I shall gladly look at it
though.

Jes
-