RE: Programmatically get ethernet interface speed?

Has anyone tested this interface with the below mentioned adapters ?

I've had a bad experience with an AceNIC Gigabit copper. For some reason,
when disconnecting the cable from a 1000Mbps switch, the speed does not drop
to 0 as expected. I tried modifying the driver's code and adding debug
prints and it looks like the adapter isn't reporting speeds correctly. I
tried posting to linux-acenic@sunsite.dk but got no help there. Below is my
original mail about the problem, please look at it and let me know if
something can be done to correct the situation. (I really need a working
EthTool interface working over an AceNIC ;-).

	Thanks in advance,
	Shmulik Hen
      Software Engineer
	Linux Advanced Networking Services
	Intel Network Communications Group
	Jerusalem, Israel

>  Hello,
>
>  *	I have an AceNIC Giga adapter that is identified by lspci as:
>  	"Alteon Networks Inc. AceNIC Gigabit Ethernet (Copper) (rev01)"
>  	(vendor=0x12ae, device=0x0002, subsystem=0x12ae0002).
>  *	I'm using the acenic.c driver version 0.80 from kernel 2.4.5
>  *	I'm using EthTool version 1.2
>
>  I'm having problems getting correct information about link status and
speed.
>  When it is connected to a 1000Mbps port on a Gigabit switch I get the
>  correct speed, but if I disconnect the cable the adapter keeps telling me
>  its still in 1000Mbps (a debug print like "eth0: Optical Link Down"
appears
>  but the speed remains). Looking at the code I could see that ace_ioctl()
>  does the following:
>
>  [snip]
>  	link = readl(&regs->GigLnkState);
>  	if (link & LNK_1000MB)
>  		ecmd.speed = SPEED_1000;
>  	else {
>  		link = readl(&regs->FastLnkState);
>  		if (link & LNK_100MB)
>  			ecmd.speed = SPEED_100;
>  		else if (link & LNK_10MB)
>  			ecmd.speed = SPEED_10;
>  		else
>  			ecmd.speed = 0;
>  	}
>  [snip]
>
>  By adding debug prints I could see that GigLnkState always has the
LNK_1000