real time packet generation

Hello,

I am working on the problem appearing below, and I was
wondering if there is an "off the shelf" solution to
it - something which wouldnt require too much
writing/modification of the kernel code.

>From a linux router, I need to be able to generate a
periodic stream of packets in as real time a manner as
possible.
The router is diffserv capable, and there might be an
arbitrary nesting of traffic classes at the outgoing
device.

Independent of the other traffic, the router should
generate the periodic flow, so it doesnt help to just
call dev_queue_xmit periodically. I need to ensure
that the packet does go out as soon as the period is
over.

Is there an easy way to do this? (off the shelf) -
like somehow classifying the internally generated
packets
as the highest priority in a sched_prio Qdisc and
calling dev_queue_xmit periodically?

Or an easier way?

tia,
akshay