Re: Linksys card

On Fri, 6 Jul 2001, Jim Roland wrote:

> Check out http://www.scyld.com/network/ this will contain Donald Becker's
> current drivers for NICs under Linux (found via google).  Any references in
> search engines to downloading NIC drivers from NASA will either be broken or
> old.  Mr. Becker doesn't work fulltime for NASA anymore, but is still one of
> those NASA geeks that all of us wish we could have been.  :)

Yes, thanks.  I had already looked at those pages though.  The new NatSemi
chipsets don't seem to be fully up and running yet.
You can find Becker's page for this driver at
http://www.scyld.com/network/ethercard.html

>From reading the archives, it looks like many of the drivers on Mr
Becker's page are for his own version of the kernel?  This would explain
my lack of luck trying to shove his ns820.c into a stock 2.4.2 kernel.
And just to show you how ignorant I am of kernel programming, I've
attached my childish attempt to insert a square peg in a round hole.

--
Ron Alford, KB0NUV
http://volus.net/~ronwalf

From ronwalf@wam.umd.edu Sat Jul  7 09:34:29 2001
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 19:53:17 -0400 (EDT)
From: Ron Alford <ronwalf@wam.umd.edu>
To: Donald Becker <becker@scyld.com>
Subject: Re: Linksys gigabit card

On Tue, 26 Jun 2001, Donald Becker wrote:

> What chip does that card use?  The Natsemi 83820/83821 chip?
> If so, ns820.c should work.

Ok, thanks!
I'm playing around with it now, I'll let you know how it goes.  I was
trying to find a mailing list for this, but all I found were more specific
ones (like the Vortex list)

Anyway
Feed back from trying to install it:

0)
ftp://www.scyld.com/pub/network/ns820.c doesn't exist as linked to from
http://www.scyld.com/pub/network/natsemi.html

ftp://www.scyld.com/pub/network/test/ns820.c exists

1)
ftp://www.scyld.com/pub/network/test/Makefile
Seems to have a cvs conflict on line 86? From that point line:
<<<<<<< Makefile
rpm: netdrivers.tgz
	rpm -ta $^

=======

rpm: netdrivers.tgz
	rpm -ta netdrivers.tgz

2)
Using Redhat 7.1, kernel 2.4.2

Had to comment out any references to net_device.interrupt,
net_device.start and net_device.stop to get it to compile at all
Probably not the right thing to do.  I didn't get the far anyway though, I
had problems in pci-scan.c:
Command line:
# kgcc -I/usr/src/linux/include -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__ -O6 -c pci-scan.c

# insmod pci-scan.o
pci-scan.o: unresolved symbol pci_write_config_byte
pci-scan.o: unresolved symbol apm_register_callback
pci-scan.o: unresolved symbol kmalloc
pci-scan.o: unresolved symbol pci_find_class
pci-scan.o: unresolved symbol __check_region
pci-scan.o: unresolved symbol pci_read_config_byte
pci-scan.o: unresolved symbol pci_read_config_dword
pci-scan.o: unresolved symbol apm_unregister_callback
pci-scan.o: unresolved symbol __ioremap
pci-scan.o: unresolved symbol pci_read_config_word
pci-scan.o: unresolved symbol kfree
pci-scan.o: unresolved symbol pci_set_master
pci-scan.o: unresolved symbol pci_write_config_dword
pci-scan.o: unresolved symbol pci_write_config_word
pci-scan.o: unresolved symbol printk
pci-scan.o: unresolved symbol ioport_resource

3) The comments in ns820.c reference a non-existant page
http://www.scyld.com/network/netsemi.html
It should probably be "natsemi" :)

Still messing with things...

Thanks,