stop and continue network interface

Hi list,
I write a kernel module that control all network interfaces via
an hardware plug on the parallel port. If the plug is connected to
the parallel port then (after a few seconds) the network interface
should stop. If th plug is disconnected then the network interface should
comes up with the same configuration. In other words, it should be the
same behaviour to the network as an diconnected cable on the NIC while
the plug is connected.

What is the right layer/function to realize this? It should be independent
from the hardware. Should I block the transmit and receive functions
in the networking layer? Or is there a simple way to do this.

thanks in advance,
 Frank

--
     _/_/_/_/ _//   _/ Frank Neuber