Re: maximum sockets

I would suggest this:

	* Look at the sockets in /proc/[pid]/fd/*.
	* Grab the inode numbers of the sockets there.
	* Look for the sockets with the corresponding inode
	  numbers of the processes descriptors in /proc/net/tcp.
	* At this point you have a list of sockets for the
	  process.
	* Use local_address and rem_address in /proc/net/tcp
	  to determine the desired entry.
	* The st field for that entry is the state of the socket.

Regards,

Nicholas Dronen

P.S.  This sort of thing is easy to figure out by doing:

$ strace -e trace=open netstat -na >/dev/null