Re: tcpdump - IP trace betrween two nodes

On 15 Jun 2001 16:20:39 -0400, Kelly French wrote:
> What do you consider a hub that does both 10mbs and 100mbs?  What do you
> consider bridges?  Are they 'hubs' or 'switches'?

A switch is a transparent bridge as defined by 802.1 - it is most
certainly not a source-routing bridge as defined by 802.5.  Historically
people have called anything with 2 ports a bridge, and anything with
more a switch, although there certainly existed 'bridges' with more than
two ports at one time.  The terms can now be used intechangedly,
although switch is the common terminology now.

> As far as I know, a dual speed hub acts as a 2 sided switch (or you can
> call it a bridge) between the 10mbs and 100mbs stations.  i.e. all of the

This is correct.  It's basically a hub with two backplanes, which are
switched against each other.  It's a bit more complicated than that, of
course, since any port can be any speed, but that's the basic gist of
it.

> This is what I think the original posters problem is.  He's got both 10
> and 100mbs stations and isn't sniffing from the same 'speed' port.

Yes, that could be his problem, although we don't (didn't) know that
he's got one of these boxen.  In any case, it's really a matter of
semantics.  A hub *cannot* be intelligent, so intelligent-hub or
switching-hub is ranther an oxymoron.  In any case, I assumed the
original poster knew the difference between a hub and a switch (given
that there was one device labeled hub and one labeled switch), although
they could have forgotten to mention they had a dual-speed hub.

Anyhow, did we actually solve anyone's problem, or are they still out
there wondering why they can't sniff traffic?

--
Nick Bastin

-