NatSemi DP83815 woes

I recently set up a 100 Mbit ethernet between two machines using a
cross-over cable. Both machines are using Netgear FA311 NICs (NatSemi
DP83815 driver) and are running the 2.4.5 kernel.

The problem is that after booting the machines, the 100Mbit network
is dead (according to ping and iptraf). However, stopping and starting
the natsemi eth device ("ifconfig ethX down; ifconfig ethX up") on
each machine fixes the problem. After doing that, the cards work very
well (with transfer rates above 8 MBytes/s).

It is usually only necessary to restart the device on the machine that
was just rebooted (taken that the other one was restarted previously).

Another strange thing is that when switching to Windows on one of the
machines, it is practicly impossible to transfer larger amount of
data. FTP transfers stop before 20 KBytes have been transferred. By
forcing the card to do 10baseT-FD only in Windows, I was able to transfer
files normally, but only at 1 MBytes/s. I have not yet tested Windows
on both machines.

Since all these problems are easily reproducable, I'd be happy to
provide any additional info necessary. Just let me know.

Oskar Liljeblad (osk@hem.passagen.se)
-