Linux TCP Persist Mode

Hello,
	I have observed behavior of Linux TCP that I would like someone to
verify.
Upon closing the sender's send window with a zero window size message
(forcing the sender into persist mode), the sender will not suffer
retransmission timeouts and will send window probes to solicit ACKs
from the receiver to re-open the send window.
But what if a zero window size message was sent prematuraly? --> that is,
the right edge of the send window is moved left, leaving
transmitted and unacknowledged data to the right of the send window.
It has been my observation that in such a case, Linux TCP *does not* enter
persist mode, and instead suffers a timeout on the oldest unacknowledged
segment.
Moreover, Linux TCP can only enter persist mode when a zero window size
message is sent that acknowledges ALL transmitted data.

Are my observations correct?

Also, does Linux send any data in its window probes?

Thanks for the help!

-Martin
mmcsween@styx.uwaterloo.ca

-