TOS value restrictions in iptables and 'ip rule'

I'd like to be able to select a routing table based on any possible TOS
setting.  The system I'm building is to be able to route an arbitrary
TOS setting as we're looking at the IPv4 TOS byte as a diffserv DSCP.
What is the reasoning behind restricting the valid TOS matches to 0x00,
0x02, 0x04, 0x08 and 0x10?

I basically have a truckload of point-to-point links and would like to
route particular traffic types of different links.  I've been trying to
use 'ip rule add tos 0xc0 table link1' which didn't work, so then I was
going to pick routes based on a fwmark, but 'iptables -I PREROUTING -t
mangle -m tos --tos -0xc0 j MARK --set-mark 1' also doesn't like anything
other than the 5 TOS values mentioned above.

I'm a bit new to wandering through the kernel, but I think the
functions I'm having grief with are the checkentry function in
net/ipv4/netfilter/ipt_TOS.c for iptables.  I'd expect to find a similar
test for the net/netlink or net/core/rtnetlink.c but I cannot, although
I assume the ip command is trying to use the routing netlink to set
its routes.

If one of the routing types could point me at some starting documentation,
I'd be happy to come up with some sort of an intelligent patch.

cheers
-mark

-