ATM LANE and multiple IP-Addresses not working?

Is there any fundamental problem with assigning multiple
IP-addresses to a network interface in an ATM LANE environment?

I am responsible for several ATM-attached Linux-servers (Kernel
2.4/ atm 0.78) in a network based on Fore Systems ATM- and
Etherswitches using LANE. Some ELANs are shared by several IP
networks.

For some reason it seems like I can't  assign multiple
IP-addresses to the same ATM-interface. Here is, what I tried:

using one LED and aliasing:
  atmsigd -b
  ilmid -b
  zeppelin -i 0 -l hostentry0 -n some_vlan &
  ifconfig lec0   192.168.12.34
  ifconfig lec0:1 192.168.56.78

or using two LEDs:
  atmsigd -b
  ilmid -b
  zeppelin -i 0 -l hostentry0 -n some_vlan &
  zeppelin -i 1 -l hostentry1 -n some_vlan &
  ifconfig lec0 192.168.12.34
  ifconfig lec1 192.168.56.78

Both setups seem to work at first. After some time (the first
solution had been running without any obvious problems for more
than a week), strange things start to happen: certain hosts
suddenly become unreachable or can be reached only with giant
loss rates, while other connections work without any problems;
after some time, the network connectivity is completely lost...

It seems, that these problems are related only to the fact, that
the same emulated LAN interface has multiple IP addresses on the
same ELAN. In the example above, when I use an ethernet card for
the second address, things work. Several LECs on different ELANs
are also not a problem.

Is there any basic limitation that keeps the described setup from
functioning, that I have to just accept? Am I doing something
wrong? Is there any better way to do it?

Suggestions are very welcome ...

regards,
              Peter Daum

-