Re: Duplicate functionality in iproute2 & netfilter?

On Sat, Apr 21, 2001 at 03:32:29AM +0300, Alex Shnitman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> These seems to be some duplicate functionality in iproute2 and
> netfiler. Some of it is more or less reasonable (e.g. policy routing
> based on parameters like source IP in iproute2, which could also be
> accomplished by marking packets in iptables and then using the "fw"
> classifier in iproute2), but the fact that NAT exists in both packages
> doesn't make sense to me. (I'm talking about "ip rule add type nat"
> and "iptables -t nat".) Is it actually the same NAT implementation? If

It is not the same NAT implementation.

> it is, why is it controlled from both places? And if it isn't, why is
> NAT implemented twice? And which one should be used?

The iproute2 one is a very simple stateless N:N NAT that doesn't do any protocol
translation (i.e. ftp doesn't work very well)

netfilter has stateful N:M NAT with protocol translation and other features.

If you can use it the stateless NAT is preferable because it's faster, but
most people cannot use it.

-Andi
-