Re: Using LeechFTP or CutFTP

Yael Soriano wrote:

> I am trying to enter a system who feels to by a Linux one to
> upload some files for my WEB server.
>
> My client connexion is a Window$ system connecting to realword
> throught a Linux Firewall.
>
> When connecting my remote host LeechFTP and CutFTP are telling
> always the same error message:
>
> > PORT 192,168,1,9,5,51
> < 500 Illegal PORT command.
>

> The IP # of port command is my internal IP.
> I am unable to retrieve the target directory contents.
>
> Any idea about ?

You should use passive ("PASV") mode for FTP when behind a firewall.

Netscape and IE both use passive mode by default; Unix "ftp" clients
have the "passive" command; Windows FTP clients typically have a tick
box somewhere in the "Options" dialogs.

I have no idea why so many programs still use PORT by default; with so
many users behind firewalls, it's bound to cause problems.

Note: if the problem is due purely to masquerading, you can use the
"ip_masq_ftp" module; however, configuring the clients to use passive
mode is preferable.

--
Glynn Clements <glynn.clements@virgin.net>
-