gigabit ethernet on linux, intel pro/1000 ?

Hi!

I'm currently looking into building a system, possibly running Linux,
that should be able to handle a few hundred megabits of network
traffic, sustained. I've been informed that Linux (2.4.x) should be
able to handle such rates given hardware that is powerful

Apart from things like processing power, I also need a NIC that can
handle such data rates. I have found several cards produced by various
vendors:

  o  3com 3c985b or 3c996-t
  o  syskonnect sk-98xx
  o  intel gig ethernet 1000/pro

I'm wondering if there's anyone out there familiar with these products
who could give advice on what would be my best bet? I'm a bit in favour
of Intel right now but that doesn't mean that alternatives are not an
option...

Any suggestions and/or comments are appreciated. Please Cc me in