Re: SO_SNDBUF

> To:   "David S. Miller" <davem@redhat.com>, "William L. Jones"
>       <jones@hpc.utexas.edu>
> cc:   linux-net@vger.kernel.org
> Subject:  Re: SO_SNDBUF
>

> Thanks for the help.  I have been trying to get netperf to work correctly
> under
> linux.  It depends on getsockopt returning a value that represents the
> window
> size of the connection.   Since getsockeopt was giving it a value that too
> large by a factor of two  it was setting it buffer incorrectly. Which was
> causing poor performance,  yes it matters.
>
> Bill Jones

Netperf had the additional bug in that it used the same
variable for the setsockopt() and getsockopt() calls,
and repeated iterations of netperf tests hence double
the socket buffer sizes quickly to the max and stay
there.

I should have added that we ran into the same problem
when testing with netperf, and a colleague of mine in
the course of reviewing netperf for Rick Jones has fed
some changes back to him for the next release. The
test numbers which I just posted were with the modified
netperf tests..

thanks,
nivedita

---
Nivedita Singhvi                        (503) 578-4580
Linux Technology Center                 nivedita@us.ibm.com
IBM Beaverton, OR                       nivedita@sequent.com
-