Virtual network devices

All,
Is it possible to have a virtual net device (ie like shaper) operate
over a real device without the real device having an IP address?

ie lets say that I have an interface (eth0) and I would like to write a
shaper like virtual device (veth0) that manipulates that packets as they flow thru ppp0.

The normal config (as I understand it) would be:

    eth0(192.168.2.1) <---- veth0(192.168.2.2)

and that if I want packets to flow thru vppp0 I have to setup a seperate route.

What I would like to do however, is to set it up more like this:

     eth0(up but no address) <----- veth0(192.168.2.1)

Is this even possible?  I have coded an example of the first for a simple tunnel like
application but it would be ver fortuitous if I could use the latter method and save the
ip address.

Thanks in advance,

Jason Shiffer
jshiffer@zerotao.org