Re: Regarding floating point,exponential and power calcualtion in kernel. (fwd)

At 01:12 PM 3/19/01 +0200, Matti Aarnio wrote:
>         Repeat after me: NO FLOATING POINT IN THE KERNEL.
>         (I will point you to a way to do it below, unless you
>         can be persuaded to do it in smarter way.)

Microsoft's NT architects said the same thing -- no floating-point in the
kernel.  Most of the time, that's a do-able thing.

Consider, though, the DSP coding for a host-signal-processing modem.  This
is a non-trivial problem that has indeed been coded in scaled integer
without too many problems...yet when you benchmark integer code against
floating-point code, you may well find that the floating-point code is
faster because the FPU performance on modern chips have outstripped the
integer equivalents.  Further, because of the vast amount of processing
done on the data that you get far better results from floating-point code
than from integer code.

Furthermore, the speed benefit holds when you save the full FPU state,
because of the sheer number of FPU operations performed during each context
switch, particularly when you bottom-half FPU operations so that you don't
do any during interrupts (unless you get a yellow alarm from your data
buffering).

I understand that real-time video people have the same order of complexity
to deal with.

Sometimes you can't get enough fixed-point bits to do the job right.

Satch

-