Problems with eth0 connections hanging

Hi - I hope there's somebody here that can help me!

I noticed the problem first when telnetting to the box that the conection
hangs, after executing commands like cat. Also the connection hangs when
running dialog or mc. After trying telnet through ppp0 it worked fine,
cat'ing large files and using dialog and mc.

Anyway I thought that was just my telnet client, but I have experienced
similar problems trying to run X apps on the computer, showing the output
elsewhere. Xlogo, Xclock, xterm and twm seem to work fine, but xcalc,
xedit, kedit etc, seem to connect without any error message, but just sit
there showing no output on the remote screen. The same happened when I
tried VNC, clients connected, but just hung. Lastly the same happens when
running the ftp client on the computers, any data transfer seems to
initialise, but then hang.

I did think it could be routing, but getting files from the NetWare server
using ncpfs seems to work fine (apart from authentication).

This is all after clearing firewall etc (ipchains -F). I'm running Redhat
6.1 with kernel 2.2.12. I know it's old, but apart from this, the project
is working fine, so I am reluctant to upgrade. For eth0 I'm using an old
non-PnP ISA NE2000. ifconfig doesn't report any dropped packets or anything
like that.

Any help welcome,

Thanks,

Laurence