Linux Kernel firewalling.

Hello all,

I've got a question concerning firewalling. ICMP, UDP and TCP can be
filtered out with ipchains/iptables, but what about IPX, ARP, netbios and
such? To make my question more clear let me explain what I want.

We have a network connected to the internet. Inside this network I want to
put a firewall. This firewall has two network adapters each with a
different network. The first is connected to the network and the other is
connected to a switch. On this switch we have a (beowulf) cluster of
machines.

Now, if I disable IP forwarding and make the firewall airtight in the
sense that I use ipchains to deny any traffic between the networks does
anything low level from the switch or whatever still propogate to the
other network?

Our IT people are against this setup and want to maintain the switch
themselves (which means it should be accesible to them) for the reason
that, as they say, it is still possible that this switch can cause hickups
in their network.

I find this hard to believe. To me it seems that there is no way
___AT__ALL__ that they can detect if there is anything behind the firewall
or that anything behind the firewall could cause some disturbance on the
network.

Any opinions/ideas/suggestions are welcome.

-- Johan de Jong

-