Driver problem or something else?

I am new to this particular list, so if someone knows of archived messages I'd
love to hear about them. Otherwise I'll just say that I did read the Net,
Masquerade and Firewall HOWTOs and also I read O'Reilly's TCP/IP book. I feel
confident that the network configuration is all right, but I could be wrong.

My problem is that I suspect that I have a problem with a net driver, but it
could be some stupid thing I so I'd love to hear from someone who might have an
idea. My setup is:

ADSL adapter from Cisco (with NAT), with an RJ45 connector to 10Mbit ethernet
Digital Alpha Multia with Digital 21040 Tulip chip and PCMCIA slots
IBM Creditcard Ethernet II PCMCIA card with a 10base2 connector
i386 machine (AMD K6) with PCI NE2000 ethernet card with both RJ45 and 10base2

My problem is that I can't get a connection going between the PC and the Alpha
through the coax cable that I want to use. I have the cable terminated correctly
and when I for example attempt to ping the other end I can see the activity
LED blink on both sides, but all packets are always lost 100% and I don't even
get a "Network Unreachable" error it just sits there.

Checking with ifconfig and route everything looks dandy and also /etc/hosts,
/etc/networks and /etc/HOSTNAME looks fine (RH 6.0 on the alpha and Slackware
7.0 on the PC, both heavily updated). At present the alpha runs a 2.4.2-ac10
and the PC runs a 2.4.2pre4 kernel.

When I connect through a twisted RJ45 (TX/RX switched) I can connect the two,
but then I can't get to the ADSL adapter because the PCMCIA only has a RJ45
and the adapter only has a coax connector.

My conclusion is therefore that it is one or a combination of:

1.A hardware problem even though I can see the LEDs going, but it may be
  something subtle? I am not a hardware guy.

2.A PCMCIA driver problem? I haven't had a chance to find equipment and test it
  to see if it will connect with something else.

3.An i386 PCI/NE2000 coax adapter problem or a driver problem for that piece
  of the hardware? The latter one has been an issue with the alpha Tulip driver
  before with some earlier Linux kernels (AUI and RJ45 worked, but coax didn't).

Anyone with a clue or a suggestion that will tell me about it should step
forward and make me a happy camper :-)

Thank you very much,

Peter

P.S. I tried both the 2.4.0 kernel PCMCIA drivers and the outside drivers,
     which the PCMCIA code claims is better. Same result, ie. it looks OK in
     the setup (ifconfig, route, /proc/bus/pccard), but no packets are
     transmitted.
-