Re: samba & nss_wins (linux) on RH7 OK

Bubulac Angela Tatiana wrote:

> Hello,
> Again thank you for the proting nss_wins package. I
> will try to understand the sources.
> Soryy for my last non Subject message.
> It order to work, I changed some lines inmy smb.conf
> file :
> security = domain => security = share
> passwd server = * was commented
>
> Still remains the problem that I cannot access my
> /home/tatia from Winnt. It gives an invalid user name
> or bad password error.

Right; this a Samba issue. If NetBIOS hostnames are being resolved to
IP addresses correctly, then libnss_wins is working.

> root@deltacom bin]# ./smbclient //deltacom/tatia
> pm_process() returned Yes
> added interface ip=172.20.64.5 bcast=172.20.64.255
> nmask=255.255.255.0
> Client started (version 2.0.7).
> resolve_wins: Attempting wins lookup for name
> deltacom<0x20>
> bind succeeded on port 0
> Got a positive name query response from 172.30.1.100 (
> 172.20.64.5 )
> Connecting to 172.20.64.5 at port 139
> Password:
> Domain=[NETMANAGER] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 2.0.7]
> tree connect failed: ERRSRV - ERRbadpw (Bad password -
> name/password pair in a Tree Connect or Session Setup
> are invalid.)   ....
> I don't understand yet what happens when you try to
> access an /home/user_name dir.

Typically home directories require a valid login (i.e. they aren't
accessible to the "guest" user).

The above normally indicates that Samba's authentication isn't
configured correctly. Unless Samba has been configured to use an NT
domain controller for authentication, it will attempt to authenticate
the user using /etc/passwd or the smbpasswd file, depending upon
whether you have enabled the "encrypt passwords" option.

If you have, then the user must have been added to the smbpasswd file
(e.g. with "smbpasswd -a <username>"), otherwise they will be denied
access.

--
Glynn Clements <glynn@sensei.co.uk>
-