Re: [Re: StarOffice Server on a LAN (Hetrogenous OS)]

assim falou V O Y A G E R (em 17/01/2001):

> This means that even if I configure samba on
> StartOffice Server (Running Linux) and Windows XX computers
> can list binaries on that server, these  Windows XX would not
> be able to run Star Office. This means that windos machines
> would not  be able to use this server as office server.
> So it may be concluded that StartOffice can not be use
> in Hetrogenous LAN set up.
>
> Am I right????
> ..

No! If you install the Windows version of StarOffice on the Samba server, your
Windows computers will definitely be able to run it from the server. Of course
then your Linux stations won't be able to run StarOffice. What you have to do if
you want both environments to work seamlessly is to install on the server both
the Linux and the Windows versions of StarOffice, export each to its own target
audience and set up a filesystem to be accessed by both the Linux and the
Windows stations.

Note that these are actually 2 totally different problems... 1) set up some kind
of application server from which your stations will get their binaries and 2)
set up a central repository where all stations will read and write their data
files. Of course both services can be provided by the same hardware, but they
should be approached as different problems which might have different solutions.

The important thing is, no matter which StarOffice binary you run (Windows or
Linux (or solaris or anything else)), the data files are perfectly
interchangeable, so StarOffice can definitely be used in a heterogeneous LAN
set up.

HTH

--
Jorge R. Csapo