Re: DNS Server

On 16 Jan 2001, Jones Olatunji wrote:

> I want to set up a DNS Server (ns1.mydomain.com) on a multihomed Linux
> server on the internet and  my private network. i.e the machine servers
> as a router for my private network to the internet and it's IP addresses
> is masq from the net.
>
> I have two other machines on my private network; a mail server
> (mail.mydomain.com) and a dialup server (rs1.mydomain.com). Can anyone
> advice on how I can setup my named services so that I don't get my
> private network address on the net ? and as well get my mails handled by
> my mail server ?

For email set up ns1.mydomain.com to be a relay.  All incoming mail is
sent to it and it forwards everything on to mail.mydomain.com.  Outgoing
mail is always sent first to mail.mydomain.com which then sends it to
ns1.mydomain.com which then sends mail out to the net.  Read up on Smart
Relay Host at sendmail.org.

This configuration is quite nice because you don't have to have any user
accounts on ns1.mydomain.com so it can be very secure.  This is the
configuration we use so if you have trouble let me know.

James Rich
james@eaerich.com

-