Urgent Windows2000 issue

Problem: Got new IBM notebook for Deputy Director, came with Win2K
preloaded.  I want to try to get this running without doing a full Win98
install.  Difficulty is connecting to our network (all RH6.2 servers).
Yes, he should use Linux on the notebook and be done with it, but
Windows is what he wants to use.  :-(

What do I need to tweak on the Win2K machine to authenticate correctly
on the network allowing browsing on the servers, through workgroups
properly, etc?

I've already set the EnablePlainTextPasswords setting in registry.  It
wants to default the workgroup setting to "Workgroup" instead of what it
should be (same as domain).  It's making a connection successfully to
the DHCP server and getting an IP address, I can ping any of the
servers, but when browsing in Explorer I get "... you are not authorized
to log in from this workstation ..."

If anyone has found a workaround for this, or can simply give me a URL
to follow up, it would be good!  The DD wants this up and running and
accessing the network within the next 2.5 hours.

--
Michael Earley
System Support Officer