Re: Kernel halts rock solid on assigning ip (ne2k-pci)

Aschwin van der Woude wrote:

[ne2k-pci hangs machine at ifconfig eth0 xxx.yyy.zzz.aaa ]

> > The test11 patch has the ne2k-pci changes for FD support, and the
> > test12 patch has the Tx timeout relocation in 8390 (which ne2k-pci
> > uses).  Can you see which one of those (if either) causes the
> > breakage?  You should be able to put the 8390.c and ne2k-pci.c
> > from test10 directly into 2.4.0 proper (one at a time and then
> > both if required) to see which (if either) is responsible.
>
> Hmm. I tried your suggestion but with no luck. Might it there be another
> source for my problem.
> Here is how I tried it :

Yes, what you did was correct and in your 2nd message you can
see the older version string reported by the driver, so it was
clearly loadling the test10 versions.  This tends to indicate
the problem has nothing to do with the changes to 8390 and ne2k-pci.

> The modules load fine without problems.
> I hoped this would have solved my problem, but no such luck. Did I do
> something wrong. I am no kernel or C expert, altough I can read and
> modify C and have been following kernel-development for quite a while.

Well, the next step would be to narrow in on what kernel version
caused things to break.  This is documented in detail in:

linux/Documentation/BUG-HUNTING

Given that test10 works and prerelase fails, that only means
trying test11 and test12.   However, because of all the pre-patches
that were made between testN versions, you can use these to your
advantage to zero in on the change even further (as opposed to
breaking the testN patches into smaller parts by hand).  These
should still be in linux/kernel/testing or testing/old on any
ftp.kernel.org mirror - note the numbering goes like this:

test10         (which you say works)
  test11pre1
  test11preN
test11
   test12pre1
   test12preN
test12
   test13pre1
   test13preN
prerelease      (which you say is broken)

If you can find where in the above list of kernel versions
things broke then the cause can probably be spotted in the
changelog for that patch (which was posted to linux-kernel).

Paul.