weird ipchains/promiscuous mode/Windows problem

[ Please Cc: me when replying, as I am not subscribed to the list. Thanks! ]

Weird problem here. We just upgraded a 2.0.38/ipfwadm firewall to a
2.2.16-22(RH 7.0)/ipchains firewall when all heck broke loose. The biggest
problem was that people stopped being able to send e-mail, though they could
still receive e-mail just fine, as well as browse the web. They also had
some problems with FTP (IE broke, Netscape worked, didn't check others). In
all cases, the problem was that the connection would simply hang and,
eventually, time out.

I made sure that the ipchains rules weren't affecting anything, to the point
of doing:

  ipchains -F input
  ipchains -F output
  ipchains -F forward
  ipchains -P input ACCEPT
  ipchains -P output ACCEPT
  ipchains -P forward REJECT
  ipchains -A forward -s 10.0.0.0/8 -j MASQ

(where 10.0.0.0/8 is the internal network.) Nothing. Hang. The SMTP server
was registering the connection; it even passed the HELO stage.

So I installed ngrep to attempt to sniff the line and see what was going on.
Lo and behold! I sniffed the line and SMTP was working again. I stopped the
sniffer and the problems returned. I even tried turning promiscuous mode on
with ``ifconfig eth1 promisc'' (and it showed up in the logs and ifconfig
output), but if I wasn't running the packet sniffer, it wasn't working.

All of the client machines are either Windows boxen (for the SMTP problems,
using OE or Eudora is equally unsuccessful) or Macs (for the FTP problems
only, using Fetch). None of the Linux clients are having a problem
(surprise?).

Has anyone ever seen *anything* like this?! I'm currently doing ``ngrep "*"
-d eth1 >& /dev/null'' just to keep the SMTP traffic flowing for these
clients, but this is NOT a solution. I'd appreciate any comments...

Thanks,

/pg
--
Peter Green : Gospel Communications Network, SysAdmin : pcg@gospelcom.net