Re: pnp dhcp for built in network cards ?

On Sat, 30 Dec 2000, Andreas Jellinghaus wrote:

> how can i have pcmcia like pnp dhcp with built in network cards ?
>
> all dhcp clients i could find to this at boot:
> wait until a dhcp server is found and has answered or
> timout/retry and give up.
>
> what i would like is:
> go into background, wait for the network hardware to detect a
> link, and the look for a dhcp server. never give up, retry several
> times, and restart everytime the link status changes from off to on.

I'll nip the usual set of questions in the bud:
 Not all Ethernet hardware indicates that the link beat status has changed.
 Some Ethernet hardware doesn't even provide the link beat status info

So there is no generic way to do this.  Right now the best way to do this is
to use a program like 'mii-diag' in polling mode to check for link beat.
When you detect link beat, start up the DHCP client.

Donald Becker				becker@scyld.com
Annapolis MD 21403			410-990-9993

-