RE: Was I hacked or Flood Pinged?

Hmm, this sure seems like you've been hacked.

Your machine is flood pinging another machine and your root account is
used for it.

When you're hacked, the hacker usually uses your machine to try to crack
the hosts that it is directly attached to. I believe they attack by
flood pinging it or doing exhausting port scans to try to confuse the
networking daemons. Perhaps if the daemons get too confused they open
holes in the security mechanism.

You might want to check for the following signs:
- is there an entry in your /etc/passwd file that shouldn't be there?
- is there a daemon enabled in /etc/inetd.conf that shouldn't be? (these
only show up in your process list when someone is logged in)
- are there processes running that you haven't started?
- check /var/log/messages for messages like "Accepted password for ...",
is there any logon by someone other than you? They may be logging in as
root or as lp (lineprinter), in which case you won't even find an
unusual entry in your passwordlist
- Do a find / -name ... as root. replace ... by known hacking tools like
synk4 or powerdrop or synscan or nmap. see sites like
http://www.hoobie.net/security/exploits/index.html for more.
- Use netstat to see all your connections and see if there is a
conspicuous one.

If you are hacked, your only option is to completely re-install, upgrade
everything that is possible. completely change all your passwords,
totally restrict your firewall rules and check all your other machines.
All the binaries may have been tempered with. There are such things as
recompiled mingetty binaries that give all access to user X without
checking the password file.

Good luck, you're not the first that's screwed over :(

Serge Maandag.