Re: PNP and a LAN Card

On Wed, 6 Dec 2000, Jeff Garzik wrote:

> > > When I have PNP disabled in the BIOS, Linux sees the card at 0xb400, IRQ 9.
> > > When I have PNP enabled, Linux sees the card at 0xb400, IRQ 0.
> > >
> > > If I leave PNP turned on, can I just force the card to use IRQ 9 in the
> > > lilo.conf file?  Is there a better way around this?
> >
> > No.  Only the motherboard knows how to set up the INT-to-IRQ mapping.  This
> > must be done by the BIOS.
>
> FYI newer kernels can now route irqs just fine..  Granted the user in
> this thread is running 2.2.x presumeably, but it is no longer true for
> all kernels that the BIOS must route irqs.  We encourage users to set
> "PNP OS: Yes" in BIOS for current 2.4.x test kernels.

So the answer is "yes"?  But no.  Yes...no.

The effective answer here is "No".
The user cannot use a LILO option to set the IRQ.

In some cases the BIOS provides the info to route the IRQs.  Doing that
isn't possible or reliable in all cases, especially older systems.  This
person didn't really want to hear "upgrade your kernel, all the related
utilities, and then it still might not work".

This really felt as if you were responding just to say "you are wrong"...

Donald Becker				becker@scyld.com
Annapolis MD 21403			410-990-9993

-