Sent: Sunday, December 03, 2000 9:48 PM
Subject: Apache vhost problem

Hello Everyone,

I have a question, but first I'll give you some background information.  I am running Apache 1.3.12 on RedHat Linux 6.2 with mod_rewrite, mod_vhost_alias, and the normal other modules. I am doing name based virtual hosting.  In my httpd.conf I have the following:

UseCanonicalName off
VirtualDocumentRoot /usr/bus/%0/www/
VirtualScriptAlias /usr/bus/%0/cgi-bin/

This works great, because when someone goes to www.domain1.com, it uses /usr/bus/www.domain.com/www/ for the base, and www.domain2.com uses /usr/bus/www.domain.com/www/, and so on.  The problem comes into when I attempt to go to any cgi-bin directories, for instance when I try and open up www.domain1.com/cgi-bin/test.pl - which has a test cgi script I put together, it gives me a 404 error. And the same thing with other cgi-bin's on other domains on the server. The /usr/local/apache/logs/error_log says the following:
[Sun Dec  3 21:11:30 2000] [error] [client 192.168.1.3] script not found or unable to stat: /usr/local/apache/cgi-bin/test.pl

All of the permissions are correct for the /usr/bus/*/www's and cgi-bin's, and I am stumped as to why this is not working... I have tried taking the "/"'s off of the end in the Virtual... directives, but to no avail.  And In a Wrox book I have about apache it says to put in: VirtualScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /usr/bus/%0/cgi-bin/ but when I do that apache gives me some error about VirtualScriptAlias only accepting one value...

I have also tried to make a cgi-bin directory under the www directory (instead of keeping them seperate), and putting in: VirtualScriptAlias /usr/bus/%0/www/cgi-bin/, but still no dice.... I have tried this with both Apache 1.3.14 and Apache 1.3.12, and even wiped clean and re-compiled Apache.., and have checked all the docs on Apache's website..

And before I switched to the mod_vhost_alias setup, I had a NameVirtual Host directive and <VirtualHost> directives for each host, and cgi-bin's worked great that way, but it seems that the vhost way would be much simpler and quicker...

Does anyone have any ideas on why this isn't working?

Thank you in advance,

Ken Jansons