Re: reverse lookup

Of course it works on your machine because most likely you have an entry
in the hosts file pointing your ip to your domain name or as you said you
have set up DNS Records.  However has the ISP or person whom you got the
ip address from made the reverse records in his DNS pointing that ip
address to your domain name?  If not i guess you can see why other name
servers cannot reverse your ip back to your name.  The name server
authoritative for the reverse of that ip class i.e xxx.xxx.IN_ADDR.ARPA
should have that pointer record in order for other name servers to reverse
your ip back to a name.  You can check whether any reverse records exist
by querying the name server that is authoritative by using dig like this

dig @domain.name.of.authoritativeserver xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.IN_ADDR.ARPA any
where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.IN_ADDR.ARPA is your ip reverse .

Then make necessary steps.

--

Joseph Begumisa
Uganda OnLine