2.2.18pre kernel net problem

Help.

The 2.2.18pre series from Alan Cox, through pre21, has a problem with
connection in CLOSE_WAIT that data still in the buffers. The connections
never go away:

Active Internet connections (w/o servers)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address
State
tcp        0      0 router.home.pc:ssh      mutt.home.pc:918
ESTABLISHED
tcp        1      0 router.home.pc:time     mutt.home.pc:2013
CLOSE_WAIT

The program I was using when I discovered this is rdate, it apparently
has a bug that exposes this bug. The above condition is persistant for
over 24 hours so far, and I have observed up to 5 days without the
connectins going away. I do not think they will short of a reboot.

As I would like to sync my machines using rdate, and the 2.2.18pre
series are the most stable and feature complete kernels available, I am
hoping that this can be either fixed, or give me some direction as to
the source file location, I can probably fix this myself.

This problem may exist in other 2.2.x series kernels, but I only started
using rdate recently.

-Shawn
--

Shawn Houston