Newbie ask (more)

First for all the people who answered to me, THANKS!

I'm going to try to explain a little more detailed my LAN structure:

We got about 150 PCs (W98 based), 3 NT-server (for file archiving proposal),
2 HP-D9000 with the big programs of the company, and one very-optimized-PC
with RH 6.2 where are installing and preparing our web server.

We got three rack-box where there's (in every one):
-one 3COM 3300 switcher with 1 I/O fibber module (the fibber connects the
switcher belong them)
-3 3COM 1100 hubs for connecting the PC of every floor.

In the Computing Department (where I work) we got 8 PC attached to a 3COM
switcher.

All the LAN is designed to work properly at 10 Mbps.

We got a RDSI router that is "calling" to a server proxy in another city.

In other places, and less important we got several small (8/16 ports) hubs.

We are watching since some time that the speed of traffic is going down a
lot (for example, transmitting a 50 MB file between the NT server and the
hosts, it takes almost one minute, before, 6-7 seconds).

I've just tried to install ethereal, but it asks libpcap library, and I'M
SURE I've downloaded it and "./configure + make + make install" properly,
but I don't know what happes that ethereal can't see it.

Alternativaly I've installed etherape, and this is working fine, although I
don't understand something: in the screen apears the IP of the machines that
are on, and sometimes there's a line that goes from one of them to the IP of
the NT-server (fine!). From one computer that it's browsing in Internet, I
also can see a big line between it and the IP of the router (also fine!),
but there are some mac-address placed in the screen that aren't associated
with any IP. Are those the mac-address of the routers/switchers??? How can I
measure the speed of the segment between one router/switcher in a rack-box
and another h/sw in another rack-box using software in Linux? Possible? How
can I get access from Linux to the config menu of the h/sw?

I believe this is a long ask, but I believe it's instereting because it
touchs a lot of topic in the newbie training in LAN administration.

Anyway, thanks in advance!!