Re: Secure Server

First of all if it is redhat get the bastille script for hardening redhat
linux from http://www.freshmeat.net then an ipchains firewall would also
be an added plus there is a good free one at http://www.pmfirewall.com
besides that I would also recommend portsentry so that you can detect all
those who try to do port scans on you and the like this can also be found
at freshmeat and then you could set the directories in which you don't
expect  changes to immutable say directories like /bin /usr/bin /sbin
/usr/sbin /usr/local/bin /usr/local/sbin with chattr +i directory name.
then you could scan your machine with nessus security scanner to make sure
you have no other known vulnerabilities. lastly I would recommend that you
join a list like bugtraq to keep on top of the latest bug releases and
thus be more secure.
As well I had almost forgotten make sure that syn flood protection is
turned on in your kernel and then also apply the scure linux patch to your
kernel from http://www.openwall.com.
I hope this helps.

-