CLOSE_WAIT problem

I recently started using the 2.2.18pre series because of instability
with the 2.2.16 kernel, although the 2.2.18pre17 I am using is much more
stable, I did notice one problem, although to be honest i have not
tested this on an older kernel.

I want to use rdate -s to keep my machines in time sync with my file
server, all running the 2.2.18pre17 kernel, but when I did this I
noticed that all of the connections from rdate to the file server left
the connection in CLOSE_WAIT, and even after days the connections
remained so. A netstat -e shows that there is one byte left in the
queue:

Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address
State       User       Inode
tcp        0      0 router.home.pc:ssh      mutt.home.pc:1023
ESTABLISHED root       4817
tcp        1      0 router.home.pc:time     mutt.home.pc:1036
CLOSE_WAIT  root       4816

This looks like a DOS to me if it happens when any bad client connects
and disconnects and data is left in the queues.

I hope this is the appropriate mailing list for this problem, I do find
the MAINTAINERS file hard to read sometimes.

I do have a spare machine I can regression test if that would be
helpful.

-Shawn

--

Shawn Houston