Re: Perl Net::Ping; (Win32)

Hi Glynn...

----- Original Message -----
From: Glynn Clements <glynn@sensei.co.uk>
To: Chris Knipe <cgknipe@mweb.co.za>
Cc: <linux-net@vger.kernel.org>
Sent: Saturday, October 21, 2000 12:10 AM
Subject: Re: Perl Net::Ping; (Win32)

> Chris Knipe wrote:
>
> > This is coded in ActivePerl (Win32), and I am experiancing some weird
> > problems in regards to sending ICMP ping packets?
> >
> > If I do not send the packet as a user with Administrative rights, the
> > ping packet responds with a "Unknown Socket Error" message, but when
> > I do have Administrative rights, it works perfectly...   Someone dont
> > perhaps know why / have some pointers for me as to why this is
> > happening?  Is this a restriction in Windows NT itself??
>
> This sounds not unlike Unix, where you need root privilege to send
> ICMP packets.

See, this is why I took the change to mail this to a Linux mailing list.  I
was not aware of this fact.  Be it my own stupidity, or a lack of
documentation

As to the SETUID bit...  I can (or am forced to), in otherword to have the
user which runs the script, to be apart of the "Administrative" NT Users
group.

Thanks a MILLION for the info.  Very much appreciated, and valued.

> > The code looks as follows:
> >
> >       # Do our monitoring here.  These values are unique per DB
> > entry.
> >       $ping = Net::Ping->new("icmp", 10);
> >       if (!($ping->ping($IPAddr))) {
> >         Notify_Mail($Email);
> >         Notify_Admins($LineNumber);
> >       };
> >       $ping->close();
>
> Does this work on any Unix systems without root privilege?

Yup, it even works on NT machines *if* the running user has adminsitrative
rights.

---
Regards,
Chris Knipe