IPTunnel

I have a few working IPTunnels (gre mode), and they work great with no
errors or problems.  In all the cases, I'm building the tunnel between two
linux boxes, each with an "inside" interface (running private 10. Ip
addressing), and an outside interface (thats reachable on the internet.  I
don't consider any of the traffic to be sensitive so there is currently no
encryption.  However, I am having trouble understanding a couple points.

I'm setting it up Using the commands (spaced out for clarity):

insmod ip_gre

then

iptunnel add tunnel1
	mode gre
	remote 2.2.2.2 (the real "outside" ip of the other end of the tunnel
connection)
	local 4.4.4.4 (I don't currently specify this)

then

ifconfig tunnel1 172.16.1.1
(this IP is not related to any other hosts or subnets or connections to the
network, its just an arbitrary IP picked out of a hat)

then appropriate routes to route the tunnel traffic (all the "inside"
networks are running 10.x.1.x/24 subnets, where the 2nd octet is actually a
site number)
so

route add -net 10.x.1.0/24 tunnel1

Now, I have the following questions...

In my setup, I am NOT specifying the local ADDR paramater, and in my
testing, no matter what I set it to, the tunnel still works.  I beleive that
the suggestion is to set it to the real IP of the box, however, it doesn't
seem to matter if I set it to that IP, a fake IP, or just not specify it, I
don't see ANY difference in the tunnel.  Can someone clarify this point for
me?

My 2nd question is when I set the IP of the tunnel interfact (ifconfig
tunnel1), I am currently using a private IP thats NOT on the same subnet as
the traffic I am routing over the tunnel.  I've tried setting that IP to the
"outside" interface that the tunnel traffic would actually pass through, and
that also seems to work.  The side effect from setting it to an unrelated
private IP is that if I attempt to get to a host on the other side of the
tunnel (from the "router" box), it uses that interface IP rather than the
inside address of the box, which again seems logical, but requires me to add
more routes to compensate for this.  My question here is, is there any
problem with setting the IP to the SAME as the inside address of the box?
In my testing I don't seem to see a problem (except maybe a few extra ms on
ping times, but that may be coincedental), but it would seem there has to be
a "gotcha" on this.  Can someone help clarify this for me?  Is it best to
set it to an unrelated IP, the inside IP, or even the outside IP?

I also question if it is possible for the "tunnel" interface to be
"unnumbered".  In my testing, the tunnel just doesn't work until I assign it
an IP address via ifconfig (is ifconfig what actually establishes the
"virtual interface"), and it doesn't seem to matter what IP I assign to it,
it still works.  Would setting the IP to the same as the inside interface be
the equivalent of "unnumbered"? or is it deeper than this?  It doesn't seem
to matter what IP I set it to, as long as I have the routing built for the
"inside" addresses.  The only place I can see that the IP matters, is for
traffic that would actually originate off that linux box, and then, thats
easily fixed by adding the appropriate route on the opposite side to match
that IP.

-