Re: Multiple netcards and problems

Donald Becker wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Oct 2000, MONZ wrote:
>
> > I have four 3c905 cards in a firewall/router, each its own IRQ and I/O.
> > BIOS detects tham all and initializes them, ie., with a hub connected,
> > all display connection ok. It's an Aopen PII/III mobo, don't have its
> > version.
> >
> > Booting Linux, two cards consequently goes dead while network in
> > started.
>
> My first reaction: two of your slots share bus-master pins.
>
> The PCI v2 spec tried to eliminate the common v1 configuration problem of
> bus master cards in slave slots by requiring that all slots support bus
> masters.
> Most motherboard chips have only four sets of master pins, so five slot
> motherboards nominally met the letter of the specs, but not the intent,
> by sharing bus master signal between two adjacent slots.  Either slot can
> support a bus master card individually, but not both at once.

Thanks. As I wrote, I'll go for a four-port Dlink card with only one
905.
Hmm, I compiled the 905 driver as a module, maybe it works compiled into
the kernel - unless it's the busmaster problem, you mentioned.
I'll try it out before changing cards, and report back with complete
mobo version, in case others run into the problem.
--
Regards,
              Mogens Valentin