Re: PPP server

On 27-Sep-2000 Glynn Clements wrote:

> Jim Roland wrote:
>
>> I have been trying to work with PPPd with no success.  I can make it
>> work great as a client dialing into an ISP, but I am wanting to make it
>> a PPP server for someone to dial into.
>>
>> Here is what I'm trying to do with PPPd as a server:
>> 1) Customers to dial into me as if I was an ISP.
>> 2) Get a DHCP address, not the same IP each time they dial into me.

I'm not sure if this is possible at all. DHCP is designed to work over
network interfaces and not over serial lines. You can use radius if you want
to assign different IP address, but why do you want to do that?

>> 3) Get Winblows to authenticate without any special configuration at the
>> customer side.
>>
>> I have gotten PPP to authenticate with Winblows, but when someone calls
>> in, they mgetty answers the line and shows a login prompt.  After they
>> provide a special login script to provide the "login" and "password"
>> eliminate this extra step.
>
> Don't run a getty on the PPP lines; run pppd directly.

Or better, use AutoPPP feature of mgetty. With it windows (and other ppp
clients) can authenticate itself without using terminal window or any
script.