Re: intel 8?0 and intel eepro

At 07:04 AM 09/15/2000 +0200, Gunnar Lindholm wrote:
>On Thu, 14 Sep 2000, you wrote:
>> At 05:53 PM 09/12/2000 +0200, Gunnar Lindholm wrote:
>> >Hello.
>> >Has anybody else also noticed any problems with Intel 8?0 chipset and the
>> Intel
>> >EtherExpress  10/100 Pro.
>> >When I boot I get the message:
>> >
>> >Card reports no RX resources
>> >
>> >about 60% of the number of reboots. I have tested this a lot of times, and
>> with
>> >8?0 chipset and non intel nic, and then it works, so the intel products
>> are not
>> >compatible?
>>
>> Realize that "it works" may simply mean that the other board driver doesnt
>> display the message. A caveat with the eepro driver is that it doesnt
>> recover from the condition.
>
>Well, I would say that this experience makes me think twice before using this
>chipset/nic combination. The nic is however probably a good card.
>Gunnar.

We saw the same problem and fixed the problem in our bridging code...it
seems to occur when a lot of frames come in (broadcasts or to the nic's
address, or any frame in bridging/promiscuous mode) on bootup. Linux's
memory seems to fail under duress particularly on boot...on the same
machine running other OS's there was never a problem, indicating a driver
or OS problem and not the hardware  itself.

It might be interesting to try NOT configuring the NIC through the normal
means, and running the ifconfig on it in rc.local. The problem only seems
to occur on bootup, so deferring the initialization of the card until the
rest of the system was stabilized might avoid the issue until someone
corrects the problem in linux.

dennis
-