SLIP Setup

  I am having a little problem with setting
  up a SLIP connection between two UNIX machines, the Server running RedHat
  6.1 and the client running SuSE 6.4.  I have attached the dip script that
  i'm using to dial into the Server.  So far I am able to go as far as
  logging in and even the authentication takes place.  But from the time it
  says Starting CSLIP, i'm not able to go any further.  I understand that
  when it talks of starting CSLIP, the connection has been set up and I
  should at least be able to ping both the server and client and get replies
  but this is not the case.  The serial interface appears when ifconfig is
  done on the server and the route is also set up but on the client the
  serial interface does not appear.  So i guess this is where my problem
  could lie but when I try to set it up myself by running

  ifconfig sl0 172.16.1.2 pointopoint 172.16.1.1 up

  it talks of sl0 being an unknown interface.  I really do not know why it
  does this also. I have recompiled the kernels of both the machines to
  support CSLIP and SLIP.

  Thanx

 Joseph Begumisa
 Uganda OnLine