Various network problems (a bit long maybe)

Hello ,

i've got a bunch of problems trying to set up a new network consisting
of
- Windows 98,
- Windows NT,
- Windows 2000,
- MacOS Classic,
- MacOS X Server,
- Linux (Debian 2.1 and RedHat 6.2),
- Solaris (yet to come).

I'll just describe all problems that come to my mind, maybe someone can help...
General description:
The Debian system is meant to offer file/printservices to all machines.
So it runs
NFS, Samba, and netatalk. Additionally, it should process the mail
(qmail up and running), and act as the primary DNS.

Problems:
-- nfs: tried various variants of /etc/exports, always the same effect:
the exported volume can be mounted, but if something is created, it
belongs to either root:root or nouser:nogroup. You'll tell me now to
turn the squashing off. However, the exports file looks like this:
/usr/public             (no_root_squash,rw)

Did i get something wrong? Why does that not work as expected, i.e. user
doe , uid 911, creates file A on machine B which mounted a volume from
server C; file A will belong to user Doe on C as well, or in case he
doesn't exist there, A will belong to uid 911. Thats how i know nfs and
how i want it to work; here, maybe i've just set it up wrong, or the
clients (MacOS X Server) dont implement nfs exactly as the server
expects it...any idea?

Samba: I've read about that problem before...i don't think i'm the only
one experiencing it. All Windows machines can mount my samba-volumes;
however the Win2k machines are unable to browse the server. If i click
on the server's name (lets call it "milliways")in 'My network
places->Computers near me' , i get this:

| \\milliways is not accessible                         |
| The remote procedure call failed and did not execute. |

Of course i can still map drives with "net use", if i know the server
path. I'm running Samba version 2.0.5a, because it seems to be stable
and i have heard about problems with 2.0.7. Any idea how to fix that
browsing problem without updating samba?

DNS: OK, this may be a really dumb question. Before, i had only done setups
for "offline"- DNS-Servers, that is, without hints file. Here its
different, i used a standard setup from the O'Reilly Bind and DNS (or
was that DNS and Bind?) book. When i recently checked the network
traffic with netwatch, i was pretty surprised to see my server talk to
like 100 remote nameservers all the time. Is that NORMAL or is my system
SICK?? I've no idea.

Thats it for now. Any help of course greatly appreciated.

TIA,

Daniel
-