Re: enabling UDP ports for netmeeting

On Mon, 14 Aug 2000, Matias Freytes wrote:

> KJ> At least you will need a H.263 ip masq module. I have seen such one around
> KJ> on the masq list, but if it ever reached production quality I don't know.
>
> Are you sure? I'd like to take a look at it. H.263 doesn't know anything
> about networks (ip, ports, ...). Furthermore, it was originally designed
> for circuit swithching networks (video phones). H.263v98 AKA H.263+ was
> then designed for packet networks.

The transmission part of netmeeting is based on H323 , for which there
is a masq module I've been meaning to take time to look over and setup
here.

>From the source file (ip_masq_h323.c):

/*
 *              IP_MASQ_H323, H.323 masquerading module
 *
 *
 * Version:     1.0 beta, Feb 25 2000
 *
 * Author:      Rajkumar. S
 *              Archana V. S.
 *              Sheenarani I.
 *
 *              ____Modified on  28 Mar 2000 by CoRiTeL (www.coritel.it)___

 *              Luca Veltri (veltri@coritel.it)
 *              Stefano Giacometti
 *
 *              to work on kernel 2.2.12 and NetMeeting 3.01
 *
 *              official site: http://www.coritel.it/projects/sofia/nat.html
 *
 *      This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
 *      modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License
 *      as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version
 *      2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
 *
 *
 */

> That'd be nice. Unfortunatelly H.263 is ITU's and you have to pay for the
> codec specifications. I guess meant RTP.

www.openh323.org has some sample applications based around an open
source 323 library, with various bits of codec support,
including, I believe an H.263 codec.

The X application (openphone) doesn't support (or at least appear to
support) non-palettized displays, and I haven't fought the XF4/NVidia
module into not exploding trying to run two displays at different
colour depths yet to try it out.

Regards,

Mark