Re: Serial Load Balancing w/ Cisco's CEF?

At 10:00 AM 8/9/00 -0400, Robert G. Fisher wrote:
>Has anyone had any experience using load balancing/sharing on
>two or more serial links originating from a linux box and
>terminating on a Cisco router or is there a HOWTO or similiar
>documentation that could step me through such a configuration?

We have such functionality in software for our cards. There is no problem
doing so,load balancing only controls transmit so there doesnt need to be
the same mechanism in place on both ends. Last I checked, ciscos only do
packet balancing (while we do bit balancing) so they are not as efficient
out of the cisco as out of the linux box.

With out "multilink" utility, the following would add devices ets0 and ets1
to a balanced bundle interface named multi0

ifconfig ets0 up
ifconfig ets1 up
multilink create -b multi0
multilink add multi0 ets0
multilink add multi0 ets1
ifconfig multi0 locaddress pointopoint remoteaddress
route add default gw remoteaddress

Dennis
Emerging Technologies, Inc.
---------

http://www.etinc.com
ISA and PCI T1/T3/V35/HSSI Cards for FreeBSD and LINUX
Multiport T1 and HSSI/T3 UNIX-based Routers
Bandwidth Management Standalone Systems
Bandwidth Management software for LINUX and FreeBSD
-