From: Chris Knipe [mailto:cgknipe@mweb.co.za]
Sent: zaterdag 5 augustus 2000 7:04
To: linux-net@vger.rutgers.edu
Subject: Forced Routing?

Hi...

I just have a simple question quickly....  (or I hope it will be)...

Technically, as I understand it, specifying a default gateway (or a
gateway
at all) for TCP/IP routing information is irrelvent *IF* the IP
addresses
are located on the same subnet??  Simple scenario...

PC1  <----->  PC2

Both are on the same network, 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.224

Now, in otherwords, PC1 and 2 will know of each other only via ARP
cache,
and thus, will know that they are directly reachable, and thus not use
any
gateway information specified in a routing table?  Well, I might be
right, I
might be wrong about this, but the question I have, is a bit more
complicated...

Say for example, I have a bunch of PCs, all on the same network, all
routing
via one machine (default gateway)...  The network can possibly look
something like this... (192.168.1.0/255.255.255.224)

PC1   PC2   PC3   PC4
  \        |          |         /
   \       |          |        /
    ------------------

        GATEWAY

The question is simply, how can I firewall PC1, 2, 3 and 4 from EACH
OTHER,
without subnetting them all.  If I subnet it, it firstly would mean that
my
firewall machine would need houndreds of network cards (which is
physically
impossible - seeing im practice, I'm literally talking 100+ computers in
this farm)....  Secondly, data from PC1 directed to PC2 WILL NOT be
routed
by the FIREWLL machine, but will only be broadcasted back to the
destination, because of the features and workings of UTP HUBs, and
TCP/IP
routing....

So how do I get my gateway machine (firewall) to protect the entire
server
farm from the outside world (this is fairly simple, I just stick a
second
NIC in it and set the firewall up), but also haev the gateway to protect
the
machines from each other INSIDE the firewall?

Why do I want to do this?  We plan on setting up a server farm where our
customers will be able to rent dedicated servers from us for their own
personal use.  Due to the security involved, we need to have all the
servers
in the same server farm, aswell as haev firewall protection for every
machine in the farm from each other.  The firewall rules is not that
importaint at the moment, because of the fact that the farm will more
than
likely all be protectd by the same rules, as I stated however, the
problem
lies in the matter at which we can go about to implement these rules
INTERNALLY between the servers in the farm.

As far as I know, it is impossible to do.  UTP Hubs broadcast all the
information received on a port, to all the other ports connected to the
same
hub.  Therefor, all the machines on the same hub, will receive the
information.  On the other hand, there are a few places doing things
like
this allready, which means that technically, it MUST be possible...

Can one way of doing this perhaps be in the configuration and layout of
the
physical network (hubs, switches, and cables), perhaps in something like
the
following scenarion....

SERVER  SERVER   SERVER
      |                 |                |
  HUB          HUB         HUB

               SWITCH

             GATEWAY

Or will this scenario also allow communications to take place between
the
servers without their data being checked and firewalled by the gateway
firewall?

ANY help will greately be appreciated, and I look forward to your