Re: IP to MAC translation

On Sat, 29 Jul 2000, David Chen wrote:
> > MAC addresses are trivially rewritable or fakeable. That wont give you
> > security. Similarly if the terminal servers are over ethernet then decnet
> > is also trivially spoofable

Since the host runs VMS, the terminal servers probably run LAT.

> How do you spoof MAC addresses? I thought they were hard-coded
> in the ethernet hardware/firmware. Why would any ethernet card maker
> let anyone easily write into ethernet firmware? Doesn't that defeat
> the whole idea of ethernet addresses being unique?

Not if you set unique addresses on each of your NICs.  I don't know *all*
of the reasons for this, but DECnet Phase IV required the ability to set
the physical address.  Phase IV sets an Ethernet interface's physical
address to AA-00-04-00-nn-nn where nn-nn is the 16 bits of the
network-layer area.node address.  The hard-coded address is the "hardware
address", and it's copied to the physical address at reset.

Token-ring adapters do this too.  I get the impression that it's much more
common in tokenland.

Getting back to the original posting, I don't see why it's necessary to
eliminate the terminal server.  They're simple, rugged, and good for all
kinds of jobs.  You'll just wind up building one out of some other kind of
gear anyway, if terminals are involved.  "If it ain't broke, don't fix
it."  OTOH I don't see its use as much of a bar to a determined cracker.
Telnet, CTERM, nor LAT employ any kind of security that I can recall; your
security lies in another layer, such as the use of strong passwords and/or
encrypting the datalink layer.

--
Mark H. Wood, radical centrist     OpenPGP ID 876A8B75     mhwood@ameritech.net
01/01/00 00:00:00 -- Apocralypse Now