IP to MAC translation

We have a VAX system on our network.  As a security measure, our sys admin
has chosen to not give it an IP, but to only allow connections to it via
terminal servers.  This seems to introduce several unnecessary devices
into our network.  I would like to put a Linux box between the VAX and teh
rest of the network.

I think I can convince the admin to remove the terminal-only access if a
user must log in from a certain IP address verified by the specific MAC
address of their NIC.

I have no idea how to capture the MAC address and the IP and compare them
in a table.  Any ideas?

Thanks,
Brian

-