Re: wireless cards (quite urgent)

On Wed, 26 Jul 2000, Matias Freytes wrote:

> Hello,
> 	I have to buy two wireless LAN cards. I was just about to order
> Wavelan Turbo (11Mbs) when I found out this is now called something like
> Orinoco PC Card. The problem is I have to decide now.
>
> Is this still 802.11 compliant?
> Is it still based on PRISM by Harris?
> Will I have good support under Linux? (David Hind's pcmcia support?)
> Will I get real 11Mbs, even in ad-hoc mode?
> Is there another better choice? (I know this is hard to answer)

	The Orinco *is* the wavelan turbo 802.11

	It is not and has never been Harris PRISM based, it is a
	Lucent chipset.

	If it is a Wavelan/Orinco Solver or Gold card it does 11Mbit
	in station or ad-hoc mode.

	They are good cards for the price.  They are not as sensitive
	as others, but for 11Mbit LAN use you cannot beat the price.
	For long haul (PtP WAN use) there may be better choices
	depending.

	Remember, it is 11Mbit HD, - overhead, think if it like a
	10Mbit hubbed ethernet - a bit.

---
As folks might have suspected, not much survives except roaches,
and they don't carry large enough packets fast enough...
        --About the Internet and nuclear war.

-